Friday, October 21, 2011

Birthdays - the Healthy Way!

I know that not all of you have the privilege of taking an invigorating hike like I did on my birthday.  Birthdays are a time to relax, have fun and not worry about calories, right? Maybe in our dream world!  I know that especially as a mom, its very easy for your birthday to become just another day, just ended with cake and ice cream.  Or its a fun day when you get to go out to eat and have treats!  Well, I knew that if I gave in to the temptation of a "free" day, it would take me FOREVER to get back on track.  So I played it safe.

Birthday Lunch out with my sis and my grandma - Cafe Rio
Fire Roasted Chicken Salad on a whole wheat tortilla. Only ate the part of the tortilla that was in the bottom of the pie plate.  Skipped the cheese.  Added pinto beans and a bit of rice.  Asked for extra lettuce and pico de gallo. Skipped the sour cream and guacamole (almost shed a tear over that one - its my fav).  Added the fresh cilantro and a sprinkle of the other kind of cheese.  Got the vinaigrette dressing on the side and asked for limes.  No tortilla strips.  No order of chips. Water to drink.  Barely used the dressing but squeezed the limes over all.  It was so so so good!  Full of healthy wonderful tasty foods! 

Birthday Breakfast in Bed
Small serving of scrambled eggs (made with only cooking spray in the pan)
two small pieces of whole grain toast spread with sugar free blackberry preserves
1/2 c serving of applesauce
Large glass of water

Hiking foods for lunch
Lowfat Teriyaki Jerky ( great source of protein with out the fat, carbs or cholesterol but little high on sodium)
Homemade Granola Bars (recipe will be available on other website by Oct 25th)
Lots of water

Dinner
4 oz serving of  baked halibut (oh so good for you and the best fish EVER to eat! So mild)
1 c whole grain thin spaghetti noodles mixed in a light tomato sauce
1 1/2 c green salad (lettuce, carrots, celery, green pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, alfalfa sprouts, tomatoes) with Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing (one of my FAVS)

Dessert
Lowfat Brownies (from a mix)
Topped with cherry pie filling - no sugar added
and a squirt of whipped topping and a tiny drizzle of Hershey's syrup

Probably not the best Carbs day maybe but I think I did pretty darn good considering it was my birthday! And everything tasted great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment