Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Update...

So I'm not going to update with my weight for a while. It is kinda depressing when you feel like you have done great but then weigh in and nothing has changed.  So I'm just going to update how I am feeling and what I am up to.  My friend and I are walking together at least three times a week.  When she can't go, I still try to.  We went hiking as a family this past Monday and it was awesome.  I only had to stop because I was winded once - granted it was only a mile hike total but it was pretty steep.  I even started jogging a bit instead of just walking.  I swore I would never ever be a runner.  But I didn't hate it. So maybe I will call myself a jogker - a mix between a walker and a jogger.  :)  As for eating, I am trying to keep eating well.  Luckily we are getting into summer when so many delicious fresh options are out there.  I love fruit so that will help a lot I hope.  Plus when it hot outside, I really don't like to eat big heavy type meals.  The challenge I am facing is that we are getting so busy at night with baseball, t ball, etc.  Some nights, we just have sandwiches and crackers and a bit of green salad or fruit.  But I guess it is better than fast food, right?

Speaking of fast food, my daughter learned the hard way yesterday about the importance of eating good food.  For the last week of school, her 7th grade science class walked the 5 blocks to "downtown" and had fast food for lunch.  She ordered a hot fudge sundae, a yogurt parfait, fries, a cheeseburger and root beer from a certain fast food chain that will remain unnamed.  By the time she got home from school, she was so so sick.  She hasn't had hardly any "fast food" for the past six months.  It was a shock to her system.  Not only did she eat a bit more than she should have, but she didn't think about all the junk that was in the food.  She spent most of the afternoon in the bathroom.  But I think she learned a lesson - she said that she won't be eating anything other than a yogurt parfait there anymore since that is "kinda healthy". 

I'm trying something new for the kids for snack time this summer - they seem to want to eat all day.  So I'm going to put somewhat healthy snacks in a ziploc for them each day with their names on it.  Pretzels, dried fruit, yogurt bites, granola bars, crackers with peanut butter, almonds.  And of course fruit and veggies will be available in the fridge.  Hopefully that will enable them to have a healthier summer!

Anyway - I'm up to about a mile per day on the walking thing.  Hoping to increase it by a mile each month plus spend some time on the exercise bike a couple times a week and do some good ol' crunches, leg lifts, etc.  I feel great - haven't even had to nap much for the last week or so!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Jenny! I love your idea for snacks for the kids.

    ReplyDelete